Monday, November 27, 2017

Choices

Back from a wonderful break and the children are in full swing.  They have lots of energy and are so happy to be back at school.  I find this time of year to be especially challenging for teachers and students.  It's kind of a "limbo" if you will.  We had a long week off and only four weeks until another long break.  It's difficult to keep the students in routine sometimes once they've gotten out of routine.  I find that using choices is most effective for me.  Giving the students real choices helps them to feel empowered.

I love this time of year, but the weather is constantly changing, children are really sick (a lot), and there is excitement everywhere.  Remembering to give my students choices helps them to feel in control and take ownership of their actions.  They are responsible for the choices they make.  As always, there are consequences, both good and not so good, but I think they realize that it's their choice that determines those consequences, not mine.  Even at this young age, choices are helpful.  I have to keep reminding myself that we still have school for these four weeks and routines are essential to thrive..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moved

It actually happened.  The move to the "big school" is complete!  Unfortunately, I was not able to be here for the first couple of...